Me.
In the container shipping business.
Who would have thought?
If anyone had told me before that I--Rachelle, Little Miss Kikay, numero uno non-conformist, humanities student at heart, almost television show writer/almost Marketing staff at a magazine distributor/almost high school teacher in an exclusive girls' school--will get "corporatized," will hold the title "Sales Executive" in the world's largest shipping line, I would have laughed.
Talk about the world turned upside down! Quoting rates, securing business with major clients, following a dress code, strutting down the streets of Makati, dealing with programs, and working with numbers are light years away from my daily fare of books, political/social/gender issues, trendy clothes, talk, television, and adolescent fun.
Strangely, I'm actually doing well and *gasp* even starting to like it.
Hmmm...
--------------------------------------------------------------
First Month [Work]
I know I owe you guys a lot of kwento. God, I miss blogging! One whole month! It was as though I dropped out of the face of Blog Land. Let's see... In my list of excuses (and make-up since I'll share as I go along) are the following:
* a truly exhausting first day!!!
You cannot imagine what it was like! I was asked to join a 5-hour top-agenda meeting to "get familiarized." I did get familiarized alright. But I think not in the field they wanted me to become familiar with. I got familiarized with the truth that in the real world, the school you came from, the number of medals that have been donned on your neck, and the social life you've developed, mean nothing. True, credentials will get you that test and/or interview. Maybe it's solid enough to get you the job. But once you sign the contract and you're really in, everything is thrown out the window! It's all about the basic IQ and EQ from thereon. Your survival skills will be tested.
I'm telling you, my first day experience gave me quite a shock! Used to holding the power in class and in orgs, being in the company of suit-wearing men who liked throwing around big words such as "Bill of Lading," "FOB," "WebSimon," etc. (which at the time I had no idea were actual words) made me feel like an ant in the company of giants.
For a moment there, I considered bailing out. The company should be thankful that once the effect of situations like those have rubbed off a little bit, I'm back to my analytical, insightful self. That self told me that I was gonna be okay, that I had it in me to "wing it."
My first day left me a bit scared and a whole lot challenged!
* an intensive Shipping 101 training for two whole weeks
I think they took me in on the basis of IQ (from the series of tests), personality (from the personality test), and confidence + communication skills (from the interviews). So both they and I knew that I didn't possess the technical know-how. Aside: Duh, I'm from I.S.! How would I be vaguely informed about shipping?
So they got me into a series of modules, sort of like a crash-course in shipping. I knew that it's part of the job but I was hesitant at first. I really found the routings, container types, equipment kinds, and the like boring. As in! Capital B-O-R-I-N-G! I took the data in. But that was it. However, the processes, the INCO terms, customs house brokerage, the legalities, and the other more logical "big picture" stuff got me very very very interested (yep: that interested!). I myself am surprised at how I found it easy to understand. I had earlier predicted that I'd be dumb-ass in those non-politics, media, literature, or fashion stuff. I'm so glad to prove myself wrong.
A little pagbubuhat ng sariling bangko: I finished all the modules. Earlier than the schedule. Without any course lower than 90, and with some perfect 100s. How's that for a Political Science-Journalism-Literature graduate?
* in-house practice
Right after Shipping 101. Another two weeks. This time sort of like OJT. I am directly involved in the job but the load is not yet heavy and the "client coordinators" are watching my back.
I liked this part a lot. Doing the actual everyday work got me more fascinated with the ins and outs of the shipping industry. I particularly enjoyed:
- quoting rates: Turns out I'm not as allergic to numbers as I thought! They just have to be pre-computed (I'm lucky the system does the yucky-operations part). I like the entire "kailangan ng diskarte" thing. The rules are basically the same as in all trades. So my shopping expertise helps. Basic supply and demand. Knowing when and how much to markup or give in.
and
- answering phone calls: Having an actual situation with an actual person is where one really learns. Besides, it's where my pagka-biba a.k.a. comm skills in formal terms or just simply charm, comes very handy.
* adjusting to the workplace/the environment
I've had to change my routine a bit ergo wake up earlier, sleep earlier, dress smartly, get used to the height (tall building), walk some blocks, miss some TV shows, have tea/hot choco breaks, etc. But those are minor and thus manageable.
The more important part is fitting in. Like any other new employee, I've had to get acquainted with the people at work and build rapport. Thank goodness I'm the type who makes friends easily! I immediately got into knowing my officemates, their jobs, their personalities, and quirks and then found ways to connect with them. So right now, it's a happy, comfortable working environment for me. I like them. And I think it's safe to say that they like me.
--------------------------------------------------------------
First Month [Miscellaneous]
Also included in my list of excuses are:
* family events and outings that finally pushed through
We went to Puerto Galera for some swimming. And I didn't get dark, just a little reddish, thanks to my reliable friend Coppertone. The weekend after that we stayed at Canon Woods in Tagaytay. I got a massage and a paraffin nail treatment in the country club's spa and salon. (You should try paraffin, it makes the skin on your hands softer and your nails stronger!) Did some swimming as well as rode a horse while there too. Frequented the malls. Watched "Star Wars," "Sin City," and "Madagascar." [Quick review of the mentioned movies in order: always been a fan of the cult movie so enjoyed every little bit of it; very violent but lovely in its use of film noir elements; fun, funny babaw animation but I love cartoons so loved it] I also "trekked" to National Bookstore to buy my brother his school supplies. Really, it felt like a trek! So many moms and kids! I also ate out a lot--with family, friends, and officemates.
While I do miss the flexible schedule of my student days, I have to say I also like this work-on-weekdays-gimmicks-on-weekends setup. The contrast makes me very productive when I'm at work and totally chilling when I'm not.
* shopping shopping shopping
Yup, this occupied me a lot! Had to build a new wardrobe and this is the welcomed "to do" involved. But I think the fashion statement change is worth a separate entry so won't expound now.
--------------------------------------------------------------
All in all, I find this new phase in my life exciting.
A friend told me that the secret to happiness is "doing what you love" or "loving what you do." I am blessed to be in a position where I get to pursue what I've always wanted and been good at [writing through my outlet iATENEO and law in the future through the money I'll be able to save up] while also getting to enjoy the means [this Sales job].
I am happy. And thankful for it.
*** spat out from the mind of Rachelle @ 6:09 PM

