Last weekend, my family and I went to our fish pen. Can you believe that? OUR fish pen. Wow! I never thought we'd be the owners of a fish pen.
You see, my Tito Gamie owns one. (On second thought, he has many units already! Oh, but I think it's still considered one since it's on the same location, just expanded. Whatever! The point is, he was the first one to be involved in it.) He bought it some time ago, about a year or two ago I think. Apparently, it's very good business.
So anyway, he persuaded by dad to put some of his money in raising fish to hopefully earn big bucks. My dad got persuaded and he bought a medium-sized pen. Since the schedule of the unloading of our first batch of fish was last Saturday, we went there. You know how it goes, it's a family support thing.
Now, I'm not interested in the fish pen as a business much but I must say that owning one and thus getting to go there is an experience I really dig. I found it soooo relaxing—very conducive to finding inspiration and discovering family, simplicity, and contentment.
Getting There
We rode a motor boat. That was uber fun! Although the thought of the boat flipping over and ending my life a la Titanic did cross my mind, the serenity of the sparkling water and the view of a clear sky soon pushed it to the back of my brains. There's just something about nature that leaves one in awe. I mean, sure, it's there and we've seen loads of sky, water, grass, and animals before but the elements of nature never run out of that special beauty and magic that can stir special emotions inside one who bothers to forget the busy hustle of techno-driven life and actually pay attention.
Aside from nature, the company made the ride fun and made the little weekend trip very promising. I don't know if this proves that I'm obsessed with literature (the characters, the plots, and the lines) or I'm just plain baduy but looking at my sister with a bilao of biko on her lap, myself carrying three llaneras of leche flan, and the others holding utensils, rice, junk food, softdrinks, etc. I was reminded of the picnic they had in Noli me Tangere. Our little troop consisting of me, my dad, my mom, my sister, my two brothers, three of my uncles, an aunt, a few cousins, and a couple of caretakers sure had the same spirit as Ibarra and his excited crew.
After about twenty minutes of boat-riding and my gushing at everything I looked at, we got to the kubo set up beside the fish pen.
Feeding the Fishies
Do you know what fish in a fish pen are fed? Molding bread! I mean it. Yeah, as in bread that is already several days (maybe weeks, who knows?) old! I was so surprised at that little trivia. As it turns out, bakeries sell them by the sack. It's what they feed fish because it's actually the mold that fish eat. How yucky is that? But I suppose it's all good since that is the way the food pyramid works (fish/bottomfeeders---mold). Anyway, we got to feed the fish. Of course just the pa-cute for-the-experience kind of feeding because there were so many fish to be fed ergo sacks and sacks of molded bread had to be thrown into the water but all I can say is that it was great!
This is what happens if you throw a piece of bread:
1. The bread creates a ripple.
2. The fish become aware. Just a few seconds after the bread is thrown, you can see many little fishies starting to group, swimming as fast to it as they can.
3. They take little bites, in turn. Before you know it, the bread is gone.
It's so cute watching the fishies. They eat fast. They have some strategy like for example the bread is a bit too hard, the school of fish pushes it around the water until it becomes soft. And they take turns! That's more than I can say for commuters about to board a jeep or the MRT/LRT.
Feeding the Family
Of course, we had to eat too. But unlike the fish, we had a treat. We ate alimasag and fried tilapia (the tilapia was from one of my uncle's pens) with hot rice. Yummy! Furthermore, we ate in banana leaves. With our hands. So yummy! I must say, that beats eating in a posh restaurant. I loved the simplicity. No arte. Down to basics. With the complete family. Everyone just enjoying. It's a meal I won't soon forget!
Siesta by the Sea
After we have fed the fish and fed ourselves, there was pretty much nothing to do. There was no electricity. I don't know of any way MERALCO lines can be connected there. My best bet for electric sparks is a generator. But it was ok. It proved to me that I can survive without TV, the radio, the internet, and other gizmos and appliances. If you asked me if I could survive without electricity before I went there, I'd answer a dead no. I'm online practically everyday (three days away from internet is my maximum tolerance!) and I always need noise whether it be the boob tube or an FM station when I'm studying, traveling, and even sleeping.
But I didn't notice hours and hours pass by with the help of a book and my siblings. I would alternately read a chapter of the book I brought and talk or play with Ruffa, Gil, and/or Richard. At the back of the small hut, there's a little bridge made of bamboo (think Survivor!) that leads to two bamboo benches with a thatched roof overlooking the sea. It was there that I read and we exchanged stories, jokes, tickles, and teasing.
Realization (Okay, maybe not realization as in the sense of whoa! realization but semi-realization and semi-reminder, a good one):
My family is amazing! I love them to pieces. No exaggeration! I'm really blessed to have such a wonderful family. Sure, Ruffa can get loud and annoying sometimes. Richard is an addict to Ragnarok. Gil can be so frustratingly quiet and unable to decide sometimes. And there are some instances when I feel that my parents are like judges with all their orders and verdicts. But all those are just sometimes. They're the petty stuff. They're not really important.
All the time Ruffa and I connect in a special sister way. Even if we have different tastes, we always have this common 'like.' I don't know how to explain it. But I guess that's the thing about it, we both can't explain it. We're just connected like that.
All the time Richard is sweet. Ragna and basketball yabang aside, he's soooo easy to get along with. Seryoso, sobrang dali niyang pasayahin. At magaling siyang magpasaya! Tsaka ang sobrang bilib ako, sobrang dali at sobrang bilis magpatawad. He has no sense of pride, at all.
Gil has always been my favorite! On quite a lot of occasions I want to hit him in the head and tell him to go work it and have some passion and don't be so shy but when I think about it, I do like his personality. Even if he is my exact opposite. He is always kind, always giving, always patient, always understanding, and just always there for me. He may not be as showy as me or say, Ruffa but actually, he has proven to me time and time again that he'll go the extra mile for me and for any one from our family. I must admit too that there's an extraordinary high to have enjoyed spending time with someone without the two of you talking the entire time. That's the way it is with Gil.
My parents, well sometimes I forget but my mom and I / my dad and I have a relationship most kids ache to have with their parents.
My mom owns the hand that can comfort me when all hell breaks loose, as they often do in my world. Plus, we have a fashion sense that match too! We're like blue jeans and a white shirt. One can never go wrong with the combination. How many daughters can say their mom is the best possible fashion adviser and personal shopper?
And my dad, oh what we have is really something. He's my mentor and partner-in-crime at the same time. I love everyone in my family but he's really the one I have a swack! connection with. We understand each other on all levels. Even when we don't agree, we get and respect what the other is saying. He just really knows me as I know him. Swack na swack!
Back to Me
I can't believe how quickly and how radically I can shift from one mindset and/or emotion to the next! I am fickle. I am moody. I know, I know. But that's just me. Hey, whoever thinks I'm perfect is sure misguided. I'm clearly not. That's just me on the outside.
I know I said a couple of entries back that I'm depressed. Well, with this experience, I'm not anymore. Actually, when I think about it, I wasn't really before. I just wanted to believe that I was. Why? I myself am not completely sure. Sometimes I think I thrive on drama. Or maybe I just needed a reminder like this. Anyway, I snap out of it sooner than I think so that's good. Next time I go on one of my I-am-alone phases, just give me a good whack in the head. My life is beautiful! I am not perfect but I am happy!
*** spat out from the mind of Rachelle @ 1:20 AM

