GIRL INTERRUPTED

GIRL INTERRUPTED

Girl Interrupted

AVERAGE EVERYDAY SANE PSYCHO SUPERGODDESS

9.25.2004

DOING WHAT I WANNA DO

 
I watched Step Right Up, the Company of Ateneo Dancers' (CADS) dance concert and inter-org competition, with Jing and her condo mates last night.

The Story: It was Friday so with a weekend ahead of me, I decided to take a break from all the stress and just chill. I was looking for something to do and somewhere to go to when Jing and I encountered Jing's pad pals who were on their way to the dance fest at Irwin. Being the kaladkarin people that we are, Jing and I soon found ourselves bombarded with loud music, hot guys and girls, and well-choreographed dance moves.

About the Show: Seeing all that dancing - from the groovy street and hiphop numbers, to the stylish and sensual Flamenco and Chicago's Cell Block Tango, all the way to an interpretative dance set to Evanescence music, and my favorite: a bold and sexy rendition of Madonna's Human Nature with chairs as props - I felt amused and at the same time envious. As in, I was so green with envy! The other girls felt the same. We all wished we could dance like those "no-tummy-all-abs" CADS people.

Post-Show Conversation: I slept over at Jing's and later on in the evening, when Jing was already sound asleep, her room mate Des and I got into a conversation about life. I was naming the stuff I wanted to do. I told Des I want to dance and to design clothes.

Things I Wanna Do:

1. DANCING I've always been fond of dancing. I submit the following as evidence:

* My cousin Hannah, my sister Ruffa, and I used to prepare little numbers to perform during family gatherings. Those were our baduy Steps, Ace of Base, and B*witched days.

* My high school years were filled with MTV, the radio, and concerts. To say that I love music is an understatement.
* I enjoyed my gymnastics, tai-chi, and Aerobics (step) PE classes very much. I even got the A's to prove just how much I enjoyed them.
* I'm the first one down there on the dance floor when there are parties.
* I dance in my room, in front of my friends, in the bathrrom, wherever just whenever I feel like it. And I always dance like nobody is watching.

You see, I really like dancing. I want to dance. Not professionally. But I want a regular thing. I want to explore the different kinds. I like fun and sweaty practices. One of my regrets is that my parents didn't enroll me in a gymnastics, figure skating, or dance class when I was young. It was all summer with the family, going out, and an English camp once. No workshops or whatever! (I swear, if and when I have kids, I'll give time and spend money letting them discover things they want.) To cut this short (because I'm babbling already!), I'm a frustrated dancer.

2. DESIGNING Now as for the designing thing, you all know that I love playing with fashion. But I'm no longer content with shopping. I want to come up with my own stuff. I think this started when I painted a pair of old jeans in the summer. And I have put some accessories together. That was fun! Also, one of my interviewees for an article on fashionistas, Camille Laurente, told me that she tried making clutch bags and that they were easy to make. So there, I got some ideas and now I am filled with creative energy. I'm not certain of what I'll design yet but I'm sure I'll come up with something.

I really want to get the chance to dance and to design because I think it has always been in me, I just wasn't aware of how much I wanted it until recently.

The Insight: Des told me that she wanted to try dancing, photography, painting, and a whole lot of other stuff. I thought a first that we were on the same plane. You know, we just have a few frustrations that are actually easy to get into once the opportunity presents itself. But then, she got really deep.

You see, Des is a Management student. As I talked about the things my course Interdisciplinary Studies let me do like:

* writing (news, features, broadcast news)
* attending seminars and workshops (Human Resource Development and writing and reporting)
* having some background on politics (Public Policy, Public Management, International Relations, Comparative Politics)
* going on tours (media groups, political organizations)
* painting and designing a little (Production Design, Aesthetics)
* recording and being a DJ for a day (Radio)
* working as an intern (Inquirer News), etc.

she started this sad talk about how she is not very happy with Management anymore. She envied my interest and actual getting into politics, journalism, literature, and social work. She said she just realized that she didn't have any special interest or passion. She wanted to get into a lot of things but her management-orientation, her "I-will-get-a-job-in-a-big-corporation-and-I-will-live-the-life-of-a-yuppie" friends, and her general careerism-infected environment has not only not presented her with avenues to explore herself but made her scared to venture into one of the AB "risky" no-money passions.

I really felt bad for Des. And I told her that if she wants something, she should go give it a try at least. She owes it to herself. Her Management background shouldn't stop her.

Ode to I.S.: At the same time, that made me feel good. I thought, "Des is right. Look at me! I'm doing what I want." I may not have done everything I want to do just yet (well, my to-do list grows long by the day so that's an explanation) but I generally get to do what I like. I've done so many things I wanted to do. I took interesting and fun classes. I got involved with institutions and organizations I truly believe in. Now, even if I don't go to law school like I originally planned, I'm not lost. I'm actually very flexible.

No matter how unprestigious the uninitiated might think I.S. is as a course, I really don't give a sh*t. How many others out there can say that aside from getting to explore two courses, their program has given them a wide perspective through which to view the world, has taught them how to consider all the different sides and see the big picture, has made them ready for practically anything? I.S. has done that and a whole lot more for me. I'm really glad I wrote Interdisciplinary Studies in that first choice course blank in my Ateneo application form.

Conclusion: Now I'm thinking... dancing? designing? what-have-you? It's all a piece of cake. I can do anything I set my mind to doing. Although not yet completely, I can say that I am my own person. My course has made me my own person.

------------------

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Technorati Profile

BlogShares Profile


GIRL INTERRUPTED

GIRL INTERRUPTED

GIRL INTERRUPTED


Hi! I am Rachelle and this is my online journal.

Hear what I have to say. Look and see inside of me. Enter the mind of a girl, interrupted.

---------

About the girl:
---------

The world is my notebook. Here are my scribbles:
---------

Lines running over and over in my head:
---------

Other worlds of words:

---------

Centerfold:
---------

Back Issues:

  • 04.2004
  • 05.2004
  • 06.2004
  • 07.2004
  • 08.2004
  • 09.2004
  • 10.2004
  • 11.2004
  • 12.2004
  • 01.2005
  • 02.2005
  • 03.2005
  • 04.2005
  • 05.2005
  • 06.2005
  • 07.2005
  • 08.2005
  • 10.2005
  • 11.2005
  • 12.2005
  • 01.2006
  • 02.2006
  • 02.2007
  • 03.2007
  • 05.2007
  • 06.2007
  • 07.2007
  • 08.2007
  • 12.2007
  • 01.2008
  • 02.2008
  • 03.2008
  • 12.2008
  • 02.2009
  • 11.2009
  • ---------

    Everything on this site, unless stated otherwise, belongs to Rachelle San Pedro. Please respect intellectual and artistic property. Rights reserved.

    Creative Commons License

    This work is protected by a Creative Commons License.

    No part of this blog may be used, copied, and/or reproduced without the consent of the blog owner. Any violation is subject to criminal persecution.

    ---------

    Image hosted by Photobucket.com

    WARNING!!!
    Site is off-limits to dad!

    If you are my dad and you are so hard-headed that you're still reading this, exit immediately. Trust daddy! Trust! I'd really hate you if I find out you are still snooping around.

    ---------

    All comments (courtesy of Haloscan from 4.6.2004-3.21.2005 and Blogger thereonafter) are stored but will no longer be displayed.

    Commenting system already disabled since this blog now only kept for posterity sake, cross-postings aside.

    You may visit me at

    www.fairytale-not.
    livejournal.com

    and

    www.missprim
    butnotproper.
    multiply.com

    ---------

    FRIENDS, FEEL FREE TO ADD ME UP IN FRIENDSTER, LIVE JOURNAL, AND MULTIPLY! :)

    ---------

    Thank you very much for dropping by and reading my journal.

    This page has been flicked this number of times: