I can not imagine myself as a housewife. I'm not even sure if I'll get married in the first place. Secondly, if ever I do get married, I do not know if I can handle having a baby. Sure, I love kids and I want to be a mother. But child birth, from that child birth documentary they make us watch at school and the stories I hear from women who have gone through it, is a nightmare. I am not sure if I can take it. Thirdly, in case I get married AND I get through the difficult nine months and the more difficult delivery ALIVE, I would still want a career. I do not know if I am ready to give up my dreams and my career to wash the dishes, iron clothes, cook, etcetera.
So, I do not really think that I am housewife material. (Note: I am not declaring that I would never be a housewife. We do not know what the future holds for us. I am just saying that right now, I can't see it happening.) However, even if I can not see myself as one, I admire housewives and I have nothing but deep respect for them.
It is not easy. It is a lot of hard work. It requires passion, dedication, nobility. Being a housewife means sacrificing yourself and your life for your family. It means waking up extra early to fix your husband and your kids breakfast. It means being left all alone when they leave for school and work and being stuck to do the chores. It means thinking about them each and every single moment of the day. It means that despite being tired after an entire day's work, you put a smile on your face when they come home and give them a hug and/or a kiss. It means loving them unconditionally. It is giving yourself, not just parts of your being, but your ENTIRE self.
My mom did just that. When I was born, she was working as an accountant in the famous accountancy firm Sycip, Gorez, and Velayo (SGV). She was young. She was sexy. She was happy. She gave herself to me. She stopped working to take care of me. I have been raised well. She and my dad had always been there to give me guidance. She grew old raising all four of us. Her lovely body and face, though still attractive, shows signs of wear and tear from four children. Even with my topak and sumpong, she understands me, forgives me, loves me. With every achievement, she stands proud of me. In Bette Middler's words, my mom was the wind beneath my wings.
I feel guilty sometimes for taking my mom forgranted. I have always been a daddy's girl and so I tend to side with my dad. My mom's work is an everyday greatness so there are times when I do not really notice it and give it the appreciation it deserves. I can be quite demanding too and act like a real brat. For all those, I am really sorry.
Sometimes, children think that it is but the duty of a mother to care, to love, to give, to sacrifice. It is not. It is something that they choose to do. It is one thing to be a mother (meaning one who has given birth to a child) and another thing to be a good mother (which entails actually caring for the child). Our moms could have just left us but they did not. So, it is something we should be grateful for. Plus, we should recognize that they are human too. They have needs. They are not perfect. For the simple fact that they are trying, we should give them credit.
I owe a lot to my mom. So I wanna say: Mom, thank you very very much from the bottom of my heart! I am so lucky that you are my mom. Thank you for being a housewife and giving yourself to me, to my brothers and sister, to dad, to this family. You are the glue that keeps this family strongly together, at all times. You inspire me. I love you very much. Even if I consider the admirable women leaders, famous princesses, and my favorite divas, you would still remain to be the greatest woman I have ever known. Happy Mother's Day! Mwah!
Happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there! I salute you!
*** spat out from the mind of Rachelle @ 1:12 PM

