With only a few weeks to go before the elections, things are heating up.
There's that controversial move of Raul Roco. Do you think he will back out and his flight to the U.S. is nothing but a graceful exit? That's what political scientists and election strategists read of this case. Could it be true that his campaign funds are running short? If yes, that's sad because it means that a decent man is robbed of the chance to do something just because he does not have the resources. If Roco backs out of the race and decides to endorse another candidate, who would it be? Is Malacanang really behind this? We all know how scheming ambitious people can get. Ah, so many questions. Actually, so many speculations. Well, I can't blame the people who ask. Leaving the country at such an important time in the game is an odd thing to do. But then again, if his health really is at stake, I guess his leaving makes sense. Moreover, Roco has always shown determination to run. I mean, he even turned down unification talks with GMA. Maybe the surveys (which is another controversial topic) has affected Roco. Did he reconsider? Hmm...
Then there's that Eddie Gil thing. I admired the judicial system when Gil was declared a nuisance candidate because it showed that the law prevailed. It was a good example of the law not allowing, and actually stopping, mockery of the political system. Now this? I smell money (lots of money) and influence (a very strong influence) behind all this. What else could be the reason? It doesn't make any sense. I think that this is wrong. I have nothing against Eddie Gil personally. I'm more bothered by the law's inconsistency. Technical matters shouldn't hinder the implementation of the logic of the law. The courts had already made the right decision before. Taking that decision back tarnishes the integrity of the institution. So to this entire Gil circus thing, another hmm...
I don't really know what to think. I have these ideas and guesses but I don't want to pass judgment. All I can say is that I feel that there's more to what Roco, his camp, and his opponents say and do. There's more to technical issues in the permission of Eddie Gil to continue his pursuit of the presidency. And these political developments are just the beginning. It is but a sign of more to come. As we get closer and closer to the elections, it's bound to get meaner and dirtier. I just hope things turn out well. The 2004 national elections can make or break our nation.
*** spat out from the mind of Rachelle @ 11:05 PM

